Skip to content

Apply for International Admission

You are about to begin the International Student Application for Admission to Elgin Community College. Please make sure you choose the correct program and term of enrollment.

Read the Following before Choosing Your Enrollment Program and Term
Students who are already English proficient and/or students who plan on providing proof of English language proficiency at the point of application: You may apply as a degree-seeking student. Elgin Community College operates on a traditional semester system. Available start terms are Fall semester (August – December), Spring semester (January – May), or Summer term (June – July).

Students who are not English proficient and/or students who do not plan on providing proof of English proficiency at the point of application: You should apply for the intensive English program (IEP). This will allow you to improve your English language proficiency prior to beginning an associate degree program. Available start terms are August, September, October, January, February, and March.  Please note that November and April are only available to students applying for reinstatement or change of status.

How do I know if I am English language proficient/how do I provide evidence of English proficiency?
You are considered English proficient if you can provide one of the following items:
  • ‚Äča minimum TOEFL score of 197 on the computer-based version, 527-530 on the paper-based exam or 71 on the Internet-based exam; 
  • a minimum IELTS band score of 6.0; 
  • a minimum Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) score of 50;
  • minimum score of 60 on E3PT;
  • a minimum score of 95 on the Duolingo English Test;
  • completion of ELS Language School level 109 with a B or better; 
  • completion of EF UPiBT test with a minimum score of 50; 
  • a minimum score equivalent to the B2 level of LanguageCert;
  • a minimum score of 61 or equivalent to the CEFR C1 level on the Michigan English Language Assessment;
  • a minimum score of 169 on the Cambridge English B2 First, C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency assessment;
  • graduation from a high school where English was the mode of instruction; 
  • graduation from a post-secondary institution with the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree where English was the mode of instruction; 
  • completion of college-level English composition with a grade of C or better; or
  • satisfactory score on ACT or SAT exam for placement into ENG 101 (see for most updated scores).
What if I’m still unsure? Please email us at or call us at +1 847.214.7233. We will be happy to help.